Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

The word of the year...


A couple years ago one of my dearest friends told me that she wanted to know what word I would pick to define my year on New Years Day. Since then, each New Years Day I revisit the blog she directed me to and I contemplate what word it is that I am going to define my year by.

Would I choose "Patience"? Something that I have very little of, but truly need to work on.

Or maybe "Creativity" as it is something I really want to work on this year -- being more creative.

How about "Focus"? Or maybe "Clarity"? "Peace" speaks to me. As does "Compassion".

After a lot of reflecting on this and thinking about where I want to see 2010 lead me, I chose "Adventure".

I want to look back on December 31, 2010 and say "Wow, would you look at all that I did during the year? Who would have guessed that I would have done :insert amazing adventure right here: this year."

A lot of time we live our lives like we are on a merry-go-round. We get up, we go about our routine daily existence, we go to bed. Round and round we go...you get dizzy after a while and have to take a break, but then you get back on and start the spinning again. I want to stop the routine and step off that merry-go-round. I want to look back and say that yep, I did do something out of routine. I instead decided to climb the ladder to the slide and have the rush of sliding down.

I don't make resolutions. I have the NEED to break a resolution immediately. It feels self imposed and usually something you don't really want to do but put a lot of pressure on yourself to do. Instead I have goals.

They are pretty simple for 2010.

* Be true to ME. I need to be who I am and not shy away or hide the person that I am to make everyone else happy.

* Experience life. No matter how big or small, life has so much to offer and I want to fill up on those offers.

* Which means, putting the word of the year ("adventure") to good use.

* Write more!

* Create.

(For those of you interested in the word of the year, you can check out the link here: Christine Kane's blog: Resolution Revolution post.)

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Patience would definelty be my word.. I need it..badly!!!
xoxo,
Lindsay

Michelle said...

I lack patience...When I want it, I want it right then and there, not having to wait. The saying "all in good time" makes me cranky. heh!

xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...