Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

I had the time of my life



In 1987, there was this little movie that came out called “Dirty Dancing” and I fell in love. The sweet good girl, Frances “Baby” Houseman, that aspired to save the world falls in love with the proverbial boy from the wrong side of the tracks, Johnny Castle. Not only was he from the wrong side of the tracks, but he was older *gasp* and been around the block a few times. But fall in love they did and from the moment Baby tells him she carried a watermelon to the scene where Johnny stands up to her father, telling him that no one puts Baby in the corner, I was hooked. The music was perfect and the dancing was fabulous, but it was the chemistry between Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze that made the movie. (And I developed a crush on Patrick Swayze that lasted until his unfortunate passing.)




Earlier this week, it was announced that there was a remake of “Dirty Dancing” in the works. Not just a remake, but basically copying of the original, down to the music. Can you say “boycott”? Then today I saw the names they are throwing around for the remake and I wanted to kick something. For Baby they are talking Lea Michele (from “Glee”), Demi Lovato, and Mily Cyrus. For Johnny, the names hinted at include Matthew Morrison (from “Glee”), Usher, Justin Timberlake, Chace Crawford (from “Gossip Girl”), and Derek Hough (from “Dancing with the Stars”). Uh, how about no, no, no, and hell no?? If you want to copy the movie so badly, why not just re-release the movie? It stands the test of time, gaining new fans from newer generations, and you won’t need to go through the trouble of making those of us that love the original howl in outrage.



I can’t imagine anyone singing “She’s like the wind” but Patrick Swayze. I can’t imagine the “Mickey and Sylvia” scene without Patrick and Jennifer. And I surely do not want to see this movie Disneyed up.



Bad enough, we have a remake of “Footloose” coming out shortly, which I will also be avoiding. Blake Shelton, while I’m sure he is a fabulous singer, is no Kenny Loggins and I don’t personally care to hear him try to do “Footloose”. Hollywood, get original! The remakes are insulting and quite honestly, it is rare they top the original. Sucky movies are becoming too prevalent.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...