Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cuz you gotta have friends...

During my lunch break at work I am reading a fabulously interesting book called MWF Seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche. Rachel is searching for a local BFF in Chicago because let's face it, women need their friends. Rachel dedicates a year to finding a new BFF, that is fifty-two friend dates over the course of a year. I'm fascinated by this. Mainly because I need a local BFF myself.

Now this isn't to say that I don't have friends here now because I do and they are some of the best. However, children are a pretty prominent feature in each of my friends locally. And while I do adore their children, I miss going out at the spur of the moment without having to worry about the babysitter.

I have many friends on line and my best friend is out of state. And they are absolutely fabulous, but again, I can't call them up and say "Hey, let's go grab a bite to eat and a late movie." It requires more planning involving time off of work, travel time, and packing a suitcase. I love a good vacation as much as the next person, but it isn't always financially feasible.

So new friends locally...must find them!

Now in this book, Rachel has friends introduce her to friends, she tries "friend dating" (like speed dating), and I'm currently up to her joining all kinds of meet-up clubs. I have joined a few meet-ups here in Phoenix that are in my interest range, but guess what? I'm too shy to go! Yup, I really am! I keep telling myself to suck it up and go, but I back out like a coward.

There is one place that I will not go seeking friendship at, however - the workplace. I know people that develop their best friends through the workplace. I am not one of those people. I was burned by one of those "friendships" in the past and I have no desire to find myself in that position again. I work with some really nice people. I have gone to lunch with them, enjoyed my time with them. I admit that I have briefly observed them each and thought, "I wonder if we can be friends". The feeling dies just as quick. Sometimes I ask myself if I am shutting myself off to the possibility of a BFF with that stance, but I am pretty set in that determination.

So that goes back to the before mentioned - meet up groups, local book clubs, friends of friends, and opening my mouth in social situations. Hmmm...think I can find one new friend in 2012?

How about you? What is the most unique/oddest way you have met a friend?

1 comment:

Natalie Aaron said...

Well you have a new friend in me but that means yet another out of state friend (that is, until I see you this spring!)

The weirdest place I ever found a friend: I once had to fire an editor and we ended up talking for 2 hours - she wasn't right for the job but we became friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...